At My Brother’s Keeper, we have focused our efforts in the Irvington community within Baltimore City. We offer the residents of Irvington a number of different social services to help them better themselves and develop a positive outlook on life. To have a better idea of the area that we strive to help, here are some Irvington facts, provided by City-Data:
- The Irvington neighborhood is located in the Southwest District of Baltimore.
- The neighborhood sits between the Gwynns Falls and Yale Heights neighborhoods.
- The population of Irvington is over 5,570.
- 53.1% of the total households in Irvington are families.
- 10.9% of the total households are couples who are married with children.
- 19.7% of the total households are single mothers with children.
- Nearly 40% of the Irvington population has not received an education over a high school level.
- Over 850 houses in the Irvington area were built during the year of 1939 or sooner.
While the numbers may not seem that serious to some, My Brother’s Keeper knows how serious the situation is in Irvington. The residents are unable to benefit themselves because of the restrictions put on them by their living situations. The job market is scarce at best in the neighborhood, preventing those who don’t have means of transportation from getting a job. Without a job, some residents are faced with the struggle to make ends meet. Old home require serious upkeep and rehabilitation that some residents are unable to keep up with. As the neighborhood continues to head in a downwards spiral, the youth in the area is surrounded by negative influences, making it hard for them to rise above the adversity they are faced with.
My Brother’s Keeper focuses on helping the residents of Irvington to better themselves while helping the youth of Irvington realize their full potential. We offer a number of services from medical assistance to youth programs. Some of the social services My Brother’s Keeper offers the residents of Irvington include:
- Eviction Intervention
- Financial Management
- Addiction Treatment Referrals
- Medical Co-Payments
Our youth programs tend to focus on children ranging from age 11 to age 19. We have several programs designed to focus on specific age groups to better help the children of Irvington. These programs include:
- Circle of Dreamers
- SAFE House
- Youth Leadership Team